My poor baby. Every time I take my little overmedicated Sonny to the pediatrician I come away with another prescription. I made this comment to Smoochy and he replied, “Yea, glad we had that natural homebirth!” *sigh* He’s so right. First Sonny had special drops and butt ointment for a case of Thrush; then he had antibiotic prescribed for an eye infection; and next he will probably have to have SURGERY for not one but TWO hernias. Awesome. But today, today the poor little grumpy man was prescribed a medicine to help with acid reflux! Have you ever heard of a breast fed baby with acid reflux? He is miserable! You know, my house is clean, I keep Sonny in clean clothes, and the kid eats as often and as long as his little heart desires (Can’t you tell? He weighed in at 15 pounds 12 ounces today!). And of course you know he is loved and loved and loved. Yet, with all these health complications I can not help but feel like I am doing something wrong. *Sigh* Enough of that though. We aren’t feeling sorry for ourselves or anything over here. I really just feel so bad for my poor little guy. To top it all off, today he received his first four shots of vaccines. He’s pretty cranky!
*****
That was all written yesterday. Today Sonny is feeling much better. Well enough in fact that he was up for finally doing this super cute meme his blogging buddy Baby Henry over at the House of H tagged him for. So without further ado:
3 Things That Scare Me
Possibly needing surgery on my hernia!
When I get left alone in a room…are you ever coming back for me?!?!?!
The prospect of my peach-fuzz uni-brow ever coming in darker.
3 People That Make Me Laugh
My Mom (seriously, have you seen that funny face?)
My Dad
My Aunt Betsy
3 Things I Love
BOOBY!!!!!
Sink Time
Laying on my changing table
3 Things I Hate
Getting lotioned after bath
When Mom doesn’t give me her complete attention while nursing
Nursing with a dirty diaper. (Would you like to eat with poop in your pants?)
3 Things I Don’t Understand
Why Aunt Betsy has to go home tomorrow. She’s my best friend other than Monkey.
How so much cheese can develop under my second chin!!! Eww gross!!!
Why everyone talks three octaves higher to me than everyone else.
3 Things on My Desk/Table (or play mat)
Sunflowers, grapes, and crabs. This is a quilt that Grandma T. and Aunt Betsy made for me.
3 Things I’m Doing Right Now
Right this second I’m wearing my favorite puppy pj’s, playing with monkey and mommy, and making silly faces!
3 Things I Want to Do Before I Die
Beat my Grandma T. at arm wrestling.
Ride with Grandpa N. in his custom built airplane.
Take a spin with Grandpa W. in his refurbished Barracuda
3 Things I Can Do
Flirt with the ladies
Smile (occasionally)
Cry for hours on end with a single breath.
3 Ways to Describe My Personality
Mr. Grumpy Pants
Normy Crabby-Apple-Bottoms
Mommy’s High Needs Heartthrob
3 Things I Can’t Do
Visit my extended family as much as I would like to.
Be Aunt Kate and Uncle Chuck’s ring bearer… I’m too little.
Go with Dad to Korea next week, I haven’t got my passport yet.
3 Things I Like To Listen To
I Love to Boogie at least once a day.
Daddy snoring, it makes me feel safe.
The doggies barking welcoming Daddy back from work.
3 Things I Don’t Like To Listen To
Mommy saying, “Time for bed!”
Anyone who says Mommy shouldn’t feed me in public.
Daddy telling me bath time is over!
3 Absolute Favorite Foods
Booby milk is the diet for me!
3 Things I’d Like to Learn
How to say, “I love you!”
How to pick my nose.
How to ride a bike.
3 Beverages I Drink Regularly
Only booby milk!
3 Shows I Watched as a Kid
Mommy and Daddy don’t watch TV, but we watch lots of MOVIES.
Fun With Dick and Jane
Notting Hill
Big Lebowsk
3 Babies I Tag
Jack at Women on the Verge
Lucia at Lucky Juju
Baby Girl at Sugar and Ice
9 comments:
OK, I didn' teven read the meme Once I saw about poor little sonny and the meds I stopped reading and wanted you to check this stuff out. Firstly, breastmilk will clear up anything, even eye infections. Yes, it will! Did you know that straight breastmilk will kill cancer germs. It's just a shame we can't inject it into the body for it to work. Google it and you may be surprised what wonder remedies breast milk can give you.
Reflux - yes, three of my five had it and they were all breastfed, one was even so severely allergic he had to be taken off my milk and at 8 years old the protiens still bother him (but that is a very rare case). OK, first baby had reflux because of a physical condition; she did not have the sphincter muscles that separated the stomach from the esaphogus (sp?). No meds were going to help her. This was 11 years ago and she almost had to undergo surgery for it but we were able to avoid that. Second child has the allergies. Third child had no problems with any breast milk, but couldn't handle any subsitutes or supplements unti lshe was closer to two because of lactose issues - she's fine now at almost 7 years old. Fourth child, severe reflux. Perfect delivery and he choked one afternoon in her bed napping at four weeks of age and I found her blue. She now suffers from Cerebral Palsy and is a leftside hemiplegic. I am NOT trying to scare you. She would not have choked had I NOT put her on her back to sleep - I will nevah, evah, nevah put child on his back to sleep again - side only! She was put on Zantac and an apnea monitor so we would know if she choked again. Fifth Child - reflux. We found a product called colicease and we never gave Zantac again and her never had a problem again. ColicEase.com.
So as I have probalby scared you to death, please don't be. You need to make sure that Sonny's head is always higher than his body and he isn't scrunched down in his middle section. This is probably why he is always unhappy. Reflux burns babies' throats and makes them grunt alot, makes their cry and coos sound kind of haorse, and they tend to cry alot because it hurts. If they are flat too much this reflux can also back up into the sinuses and cause sinus infection and ear infections. These are all secondary because of reflux.
We have an Amby Bed (I have a link on my blog), that is what I call a miracle worker. We used a Tucker Sling for my 4th but she hated it and so we just bought bed leg lifts (at bed, bath and beyond) and put them under the head of the bed for her, then we found the Amby Bed - they loved it. The head of the bed must be raised four inches higher than the foot - the problem: the baby tends to slide down the bed (this can be kind of funny though). Oh, and continue to breastfeed him as long as you can - this will be better than anything else - trust me, formula, even for a once in a while, will be worse. but for the times it's necessary for whatever reason, use Nutramagin or Prosobee (forget the soy based, they are worse. And if he is haveing this trouble, don't introduce cereal until he is at least six months old. but believe it or not try some yogurt around 4 months of age if you think he's ready. Or wait until 6 months and do yogurt first.
I could share so much more here, but I've already made my own post instead of just a comment. Sorry 'bout that. We've just been through so much and I couldn't just let that go.
OH, yeah, our pediatrician was totally cool with the ColicEase. It's all natural and even if it doesn't work, it won't hurt.
I am sorry you are feeling stressed about Sonny and his illnesses. Sickness is NOT a sign of mommy failure, whatever your heart tells you. Every kid gets sick. I hope the hernias heals on their own. If they don't, you will get them fixed, and that will be the end of it. Moms do things right, moms do things wrong, and kids still get sick. It is not because of you.
I hope the little fella feels better quickly.
Yay!!!! I've been tagged for a meme! Or at least Jackaroni has been....what fun!
I'll second those things Smockmama said. One of my twins had reflux, she wanted to eat all evening (because apparently the burning sensation is better when they are constantly eating) and grunted nonstop. She was in zantac for a short time and it really didn't seem to help. We raised the head of her bed and were careful about how to sit her down, that helped. And she didn't want ANY solids til she could sit well at exactly 6 mos.
Hehe, this post had me in fits! Very cute and funny!
I so know what you mean about all the prescriptions. It seems like poor Natalia has been slightly sick since she was born too. She's got two different creams for her butt and one cream for her mouth and my nipples - yep, thrush. It sucks! She's also had mucky eyes (did they tell you breastmilk is good to put into their eyes?), and a hideous cold. Someone said to me yesterday "Awww, she's had a rough start hasn't she?" - I know they meant well, but I felt like the worst mother ever!!
I hope your gorgeous boy is 100% better soon. I'm sure that what you've got for the reflux will help him with the long periods of crying you mentioned.
xx
sorry to hear that normy's (i think normy's sticking!) feeling well--but it's not your fault. all you can do is take the best care of him--and yourself--as possible.
thrush happens to the best of us. and so does reflux--little henry seems to be having some trouble of his own since i've been weaning him off the boob. i know you only nurse sonny, but for what it's worth, we've had success with Enfamil AR.
in the meanwhile: A GREAT BIG SHOUT OUT FOR MONKEY, as you know who i love. start 'em young, that's what i say. the pic of normy and george is adorable. i could just eat that baby up!
what fun this memes are, thanks for sharing!
oh, best positive vibes for the upcoming surgery - hope everyone feels better soon.
(on another note: loved Sonny's meme responses!)
I know it's hard, but don't feel guilty. You are a good mom and doing the best you can...you are an even better mom for choosing not to ignore his health complications.
The thought of surgery is scary, I had a hard time when they just wanted to put tubes in my son's ears and certainly felt like it was my fault. I remember thinking that breastfed babies weren't supposed to get ear infections all the time either, but he did. Sometimes things just happen.
Hang in there. Things will get better and he certainly doesn't look all that miserable...just look at that smile! Hannah had acid reflux but was fully recovered before she was placed with us. Believe me, she has NO problems eating now! In fact, as sick as she was, she is now one of my healthiest kids!
Have I heard of a breastfed baby with reflux???? Yeah, my own :). She has reflux. Luckily, it doesn't seem bad enough for med...yet.
Post a Comment