Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Yikes!

Oh Dear, what have I done? After years of the same old blog, I was feeling like a change... but this? Um, needs work. Crap.

Of course now it's time to make eggs, start the wash, go to the gym. And then of course there is the knitting I just started that is calling my my name. I just started my first fair isle project. A very modest ribbed cap: purls in teal and knits in brown. Can I tell you how much I am loving this hat? I have been forcing myself to learn how to knit continental style because I want to increase my knitting speed. It's going alright. Half a dish cloth and one scarf in and I can knit but not purl. Anyway, this has enabled me to knit fair isle with a color in each hand! It makes me feel so dexterous and competent. What satisfaction.


So, there are lots of other things I could be doing other than dinking with the blog. You know, like cleaning... there is lots of cleaning. But, really, I think nap time will be spent working on this too-small banner and trying to tweek the rest. I miss my old template.

This summer when I was in Ripley I had the chance to ask my Great Uncle Ernie if he were asked to describe his mother (my great-grandmother, as seen in my profile picture) in three adjectives what they would be. All he could come up with was "old" which was disappointing. He said, "Well, she was always older than me..." !!! However, he also said that he remembered that she always preferred "sewing and such" to actual house chores, and that this was often a source of conflict between her and her husband. This of course, prompted a knowing smile from me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it neat when you discover a connection with past generations? That gave me goosebumps just reading it. You are really a terrific knitter. I wish I remembered how. My grandma taught me so long ago. Can't wait to see your finished project and more pictures of your house projects.
F.A.D.

hollydlr said...

So far so good on the blog revamp :) Is your hat going to have some kind of adorable design on the crown, like a stylized star or something? Can't wait to see the rest of it!

Ms. Smoochy said...

Holly, I'm knitting this Boyfriend Hat:

http://stephanieknits.blogspot.com/2007/03/keeping-boyfriends-ears-warm-since-2006.html

I think the decreases will look awesome in teal. I'm not sure how I'd do a stylized star, though that sounds cool.

gardenmama said...

what a sweet post!
i love the colors you are knitting with! so lovely!